January 31, 2013

Review: The Crucible Part 1 by Ruby Barnes


The Crucible Part 1 by Ruby Barnes
Series: The Crucible #1
Publisher: Marble City Publishing
Source: Author
ISBN: 9781908943095
Release Date: July 23, 2012
Pages: 351

The world is hungry for energy. Nuclear power, wind turbines and fossil fuels are struggling to deliver and costing the earth. Greg Marshall has developed a revolutionary new way to generate electricity and the hopes of a global corporation rest upon his shoulders. Figures move in the shadows, ready to seize opportunities. When the enigmatic Thomas steals his identity, Greg is lured into a web of global corruption, conspiracy and murder.


The book starts out in Cameroon, Africa. I found the prologue to be a bit confusing. While reading this book I was often mixing up the characters as they are numerous and sometimes were only introduced briefly for one chapter. In someways the chapters we almost as individual stories that appeared to have nothing to do with the plot, only to be weaved together later.

The main problem I had with this book was there was simply too many characters and the settings jumped randomly around the world, from Uganda to Ireland to France, etc. At the half way point in the book I still did not have any connection to any of the characters, and I think this was mostly due to the multiple characters, which made it that the main characters had little time to develop.

This book was really not my style. Maybe, if I enjoyed thrillers or suspense more I would have liked it more.

My Rating: