February 19, 2013

Review: Insatiable by Meg Cabot


Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her bosses are making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn't believe in them.

Not that Meena isn't familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you're going to die. (Not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does.)

But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets...then makes the mistake of falling in love with...Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side. It's a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met whom she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's future, she's never been able look into her own.

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future...

If she even has one.


This is the second year in a row that Insatiable has been on my TBR List Challenge. Last year I didn't even come close to finishing the challenge, but this year I'm going to give it my best. One down eleven more to go.

I've read a few a Meg Cabot's chick-lit books in the past and have really enjoyed them. They are fun, light, witty, filled with charming banter between the characters (and god knows I love a book with good banter).

This is the first fantasy/paranormal novel of Meg Cabot's that I have read. I definitely had my reservations when I heard of it (vampires really?) Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the whole vampire fiction. But, let me tell you Meg Cabot did not disappoint. I loved it! It wasn't perfect, but it had all the greatness that I loved in her chick-lit novels, but in a paranormal version. Mysterious, romantic main character? Check. Your average single girl in the city? Check. Sassy and loyal friend? Check.

Meena is just a regular single gal out for a walk with her dog (why is she out at 3:45 am??) when she is attacked by bats only to be saved by Lucien. Almost instantaneously Meena falls in love with Lucien only later to be shocked that he's a vampire, and not just some regular vampire, but the Prince of Darkness, ruler of vamps.

“Um, let me see. What’s not to like, exactly? His old-world manners, his dark good looks, or the fact that he’s way into me and is probably going to be the father of my children someday?”

But, along comes the sexy vampire slayer, Alaric. Hero complex and all. Of course, Meena and Alaric do not get along at all. It may have something to do with the fact that he is slightly cranky and argumentative or that he broke into her apartment and held her and her brother captive (even if he was just trying to protect her from the Prince of Darkness).

“Talk about having a hero complex. Why was he always trying to do that? Didn’t he know it was only going to get him killed?”

I loved both Lucien and Alaric, both for very different reasons. When I first started the book I honestly did not see the love triangle coming. I must have been daydreaming, because it was pretty obvious. But poor Alaric must compete with not just some regular Joe, but the Prince himself.

In the ending I felt like like Lucien wasn't truly as sorry as he pretended to be, but was only trying to buy her back and manipulate her.

My Rating: