June 10, 2013

Review: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell



Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: Penguin Group US
Source: Library
ISBN: 9781101468005
Release Date: April 14, 2011

Goodreads | Amazon | !ndigo

Beth and Jennifer know their company monitors their office e-mail. But the women still spend all day sending each other messages, gossiping about their coworkers at the newspaper and baring their personal lives like an open book. Jennifer tells Beth everything she can't seem to tell her husband about her anxieties over starting a family. And Beth tells Jennifer everything, period.

When Lincoln applied to be an Internet security officer, he hardly imagined he'd be sifting through other people's inboxes like some sort of electronic Peeping Tom. Lincoln is supposed to turn people in for misusing company e-mail, but he can't quite bring himself to crack down on Beth and Jennifer. He can't help but be entertained-and captivated- by their stories.

But by the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late for him to ever introduce himself. What would he say to her? "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you." After a series of close encounters and missed connections, Lincoln decides it's time to muster the courage to follow his heart . . . even if he can't see exactly where it's leading him.

Written with whip-smart precision and charm, Attachments is a strikingly clever and deeply romantic debut about falling in love with the person who makes you feel like the best version of yourself. Even if it's someone you've never met.


Originally, I found this book while looking for the author's sophomore book, Eleanor & Park, but my local library only had the audio book, not the e-book. So I borrowed this one instead. I'm so glad I ended up reading Attachments. I love books told with epistolary style. It just adds a uniqueness to the story. It reminded me of Meg Cabot's Boy series, but less girly chick-lit.

I feel in love with this book from start to end. I devoured it. You have two best friends, Beth and Jennifer, just wasting time at work by chatting about their day, and Lincoln, a newly grad sifting through their emails. As the story progresses Lincoln falls for Beth, even though she has a boyfriend.

I loved how Lincoln was able to surf the Internet as much as he wanted to but the newspaper was so concerned about the rest of the employees' work productivity. Throughout the majority of the book Lincoln is lonely.

...I was finally done with school. That's when all my friends got lives, after they graduated. That's when they got jobs and got married.

Lincoln is a perpetual student and finally decided to join the working force. He feels like his life is passing him by and doesn't know how to start his life. He still lives with his mother and doesn't have any relationship prospects in sight. He reconnects with his old friend Justin, who is a character. Justin is brass and crude, but somehow lovable. He did seem to reminisce a lot about his ex, Sam, who dumped him in college.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes light fun novels.

My Rating: