July 23, 2013

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge - Day 14



Day 14: Tell us your deal breakers

Only one more day of this challenge. It seems like it flew by so quickly. Today's post is about are...

Deal Breakers


There are so many things that make me want to pick up a book and so many things that turn me off a book. This seems really closely linked to this week's Top Ten Tuesday, which mine can be found here. I will try to be too repetitive in this with the TTT post.

The first and the quickest thing that will turn me off a book is bad grammar. If a book is poorly edited and all I can see are these glaring grammar or spelling errors, I just cannot concentrate on the plot or the characters. All I can see are the mistakes.

Love triangles. Need I say more? They are unrealistic and I just ended up despising a character who could have been lovable if the circumstances were different. I feel like so many books, especially young adult novels, use love triangles way too much. It would be refreshing if the book was just about the main character and the romance factor didn't overshadow the plot.

I cannot stand abuse. Especially if it is the male lead in a book doing the abuse. I just want to scream at the book and tell the female main character to run away from it. It's not healthy.

What I find in so many books are unrelatable characters. I prefer more character driven books than plot driven. I have to connect with the characters. I want to feel what they are feeling and if I can't it just frustrates me and I get bored with the book.