August 17, 2013

Review: The Sun Dwellers by David Estes


The Sun Dwellers by David Estes
Series: The Dwellers #3
Source: Bought
ISBN: 9781301176496
Release Date: November 27, 2012

Goodreads | Amazon | Smashwords

With those she's closest to dying around her, Adele embarks on a secret mission to the Sun Realm to assassinate the President. Along the way she'll uncover secrets about her relationship with Tristan that she might not be ready to face.

Tristan has a secret, too, one that's been eating him up inside ever since he met Adele. Will he reveal all, and risk the loss of friendship and love at a time when he needs it the most?

At the same time, Adele's mother, General Rose, must lead her soldiers into battle to face the sun dweller army in the hopes of holding them off until Adele can complete her mission. Can she outlast the strength of President Nailin's elite fighting force?

There's only one truth in their world: someone must die.


This series just keeps on getting better and better with each book. The Sun Dwellers picks up after The Star Dwellers, and Adele and her crew are on a mission to kill the President, a.k.a. Tristan's father. Adele has collected quite the eclectic group with Trevor, Roc, Tawni, Ram, and Tristan, each with their own unique abilities to bring to the table. You know not all of them are going to survive, but that didn't stop me from getting attached to them. That is the part I hated the most about this book. I became so connected to all of the characters, even Trevor and Ram, who just joined their group. The entire first half of the book I was like who is going to die?

There was so much action and suspense built into the story. Everything up to this point has been leading to this final stand-off. Tristan and Adele both have secrets that they must come to terms with before the final showdown. Will it change their relationship after they are honest with each other?

Adele's mother dropped a bomb on her at the end of The Star Dwellers that might change her relationship with Tristan. Neither of them knows where the other is at in terms of their relationship. They both know they like each other, but haven't had a chance to put a label on it, which is hard to find time to do during a revolution in the Realms. Both Adele and Tristan are still sorting through their feelings. I love Adele and Tristan together and as individuals. Together they are stronger. Both have their weaknesses that allow them to lean on each other for strength, which they definitely needed to do in this book, because stuff goes down that is game changing. They are strong individuals, but work beautifully together.

I love every single character in their group and even though going into it I knew not all of them would survive it still broke my heart. I knew that the odds were against them, but I was still naïvely believed they would all make it out okay.

There were finally some answers to questions I had that in the first two books, but now I have even more questions! Tristan’s secret was of no surprise as it was hinted at since the first book. Tristan confided in Roc a long time ago about it, but he needed to tell the rest of them before they faced the President. He wanted everyone to know what they were up against before they put their lives on the line. His story made me want to know more about his mother and what happened to her before she disappeared.

Finally the moment that the series has been building up to is here. Tristan and President Nailin face off, and it was everything I was hoping for. President Nailin was sadistic and cruel. I don’t think I even took a breath the entire time I was reading this section. It was intense! Each character had a purpose in the end, even Tawni who isn’t a fighter and went on this mission even after she knew it was a suicide mission. She thought she has nothing to contribute, but that was not true. She may not be a fighter, but even she has something to bring to the table.

I can’t wait to read The Earth Dwellers to see how both series collides. I just have to get my hands on the Country Saga first!

My Rating: