October 10, 2013

Review: The Girl Who Was Supposed To Die by April Henry


The Girl Who Was Supposed To Die by April Henry
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
Source: Netgalley
ISBN: 9780805099034
Release Date: June 11, 2013
Pages: 171

Goodreads | Amazon | Kobo

“Take her out back and finish her off.”

She doesn’t know who she is. She doesn’t know where she is, or why. All she knows when she comes to in a ransacked cabin is that there are two men arguing over whether or not to kill her.

And that she must run.

In her riveting style, April Henry crafts a nail-biting thriller involving murder, identity theft, and biological warfare. Follow Cady and Ty (her accidental savior turned companion), as they race against the clock to stay alive.


The Girl Who Was Supposed To Die was an intense book! It had me reading page after page without wanting to stop. At one point I was reading before I started work and was so mad that I had to stop and wait until I was finished my shift to find out more about this mysterious girl. Is she just crazy? Or is someone really trying to kill her? I needed more!

I liked Cady a lot. She was able to be strong, but vulnerable at the same time, which isn’t easy for a character to be. Cady had no memory before waking up on a cabin floor and hearing a man giving orders to kill her. No name or past. Her history was a black void. Slowly Cady is trying to piece together what happened while running from her captors. Along the way she meets a boy, Ty whom she begins to trust. Trusting Ty was not easy, just getting into the car with him without knowing if he was going to kill her or not was a big step for Cady. She becomes dependent on Ty and doesn’t want to leave his side. After being alone and running scared she latches onto him, but it doesn’t come across as whiny or dependent in a bad way. She just needs human contact with someone that she can trust.

Their romantic relationship developed very slowly, which was refreshing. There wasn’t any in your face romantic storyline, which allowed the focus to be on Cady and her past. Even as strong as she was Cady needed Ty to make it through her ordeal. I don’t think she would have if she didn’t have him to rely on.

I don’t know how realistic the ending was, but it was still enjoyable how everything was revealed. I truly did enjoy this book, which says a lot since I'm not a huge mystery fan. I hardly read the genre, but The Girl Who Was Supposed To Die does make me want to read more of it.

My Rating: