October 1, 2013

TTT: Top Ten Book Turn-Offs

 photo TopTenTuesday_zps8b6043c8.png
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

This week’s topic is my top turnoffs for books.

  1. Spelling/Grammar Errors. When I'm reading and I can pick out numerous errors I just cannot concentrate. All I can see are these typos glaring at me.
  2. Love Triangles. Nope not for me. I do not like love triangles in books. They are highly unrealistic and it just makes me hate the other character that is interfering with my lovely couple. 
  3. Made Up Swear Words. Ugh. Just say what you really mean. I find in a lot of YA authors want their characters to swear, but they alter the words slightly. We all know what you are trying to say so just say it. (Exception The Knife Of Never Letting Go. I loved their new words).
  4. Cheating. I don't want to see this in a book. It will make me like the characters less. (The only book I have enjoyed was Covet by Tracey Garvis-Graves, and that was emotional not physical cheating).
  5. Useless heroines. I cannot stand a weak heroine. Especially if she being whiny and dependent of the male lead. I prefer my heroines to be kickass and fierce. Then find a guy along the way.
  6. Bordom. If nothing is happening in the book it will turn me off the book quickly. I don't always need constant action, but I do need somewhat of plot progression.
  7. No chemistry. I need my leads to have chemistry. Make me swoon.
  8. Too naked on cover. I prefer some mystery to my book covers and when the couple on the cover is barely wearing any clothes it make me not want to read the book.
  9. Not enough dialogue. I'm a character reader. I don't want to read pages upon pages of description. I like to see my characters interact with each other.
  10. Large books. No matter how much I want to read the book if its over so many pages *A Song of Fire & Ice Series*cough cough* I will not pick it up. That's not to say I won't ever read it, but I will put it off for a very long time.

What are your reading turnoffs?