November 21, 2013

Review: Elite by Rachel Van Dyken


Elite by Rachel Van Dyken
Series: Eagle Elite #1
Publisher: Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
Source: Netgalley
ISBN: 9781455554164
Release Date: July 9, 2013
Pages: 209

Goodreads | Amazon | Kobo

For Tracey Rooks, life with her grandparents on a Wyoming farm has always been simple. But after her grandmother's death, Tracey is all her grandfather has. So when Eagle Elite University announces its annual scholarship lottery, Tracey jumps at the opportunity to secure their future and enters. She isn't expecting much-but then she wins. And life as she knows it will never be same . . .

The students at Eagle Elite are unlike any she's ever met . . . and they refuse to make things easy for her. There's Nixon, gorgeous, irresistible, and leader of a group that everyone fears: The Elect. Their rules are simple. 1. Do not touch The Elect. 2. Do not look at The Elect. 3. Do not speak to The Elect. No matter how hard she tries to stay away, The Elect are always around her and it isn't long until she finds out the reason why they keep their friends close and their enemies even closer. She just didn't realize she was the enemy -- until it was too late.


Elite was definitely a different kind of book. It was unlike anything I have read in the New Adult genre. It was ridiculous and confusing at times, but in the end it was a fun ride.

Immediately, I had a severe dislike for our main love interest, Nixon. I can’t even describe how much I hated this character after the first chapter. Why you ask? Because he is a DOUCHEBAG from the first few pages.

“If an Elect talks to you, never make eye contact. Because, technically you don’t exist. You’re just a pathetic excuse as a human being, and at this school you’re a real tragedy. You see while one of the Elect is running for president and basically ruling the world, you’ll be lucky enough to be working for one of our companies. You follow the rules, and maybe we’ll throw you a bone.”


“This key card gains you access into the elevator only once a week. It also gains you access into the cafeteria, twice a day. No three times. We don’t want you gaining weight. Use it wisely and if you impress me with your ability to follow directions. I may just up your freedom.”


“Memorize it now, because as of this moment, you can’t touch us. We are untouchable. If you as much as sneeze in our direction, if you as much breathe the same air in my atmosphere, I will make your life hell. This touch, what you feel against your skin, will be the only time you feel another human being as powerful as me near you.”

Those are just a few of the gems that Nixon rolled out within minutes of meeting poor Tracey. My hatred for him came hard and fast, he just disgusted me. And this is who Trace is supposed to fall for??


Somehow we are to believe that this barely twenty year old guy has the run of this uppity private school for the benefit of everyone involved. He segregates students from different counties because they might have a difference of opinion and fight! Nixon was a tyrant he threw out these rules and everyone must obey them or suffer the consequences. He kicks out one of his closes confidants for mild flirting with Trace! His own sister couldn’t stand him and thought of his as Satan himself.

Even as this book got more outlandish and ridiculous as it went on I did enjoy it. I couldn’t put it down. How I ended up liking it is still a bit of a mystery to me, but I did and I now want to read the second book. As the story progressed I was thoroughly confused. The more the mystery built the more I got into it.


Trace is our poor naïve main character. She is verbally abused by Nixon and his crew, the student body, and physically attacked at one point as well. She breaks down multiple times in public and has to be carried off. Even though all of this abuse stems from Nixon she still is willing to socialize with him.

My Rating:

 photo 3-Stars_zps496fe06d.png
(because in the end it did entertain the hell out of me)