March 13, 2013

Review: This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer



This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Series: Last Survivors #3
Source: Bought
Release Date: January 1, 2010

It’s been a year since a meteor collided with the moon, catastrophically altering the earth’s climate. For Miranda Evans, life as she knew it no longer exists. Her friends and neighbors are dead, the landscape is frozen, and food is increasingly scarce.

The struggle to survive intensifies when Miranda’s father and stepmother arrive with a baby and three strangers in tow. One of the newcomers is Alex Morales, and as Miranda’s complicated feelings for him turn to love, his plans for his future thwart their relationship. Then a devastating tornado hits the town of Howell, and Miranda makes a decision that will change their lives forever.


I had really high hopes for this book after the last sequel in this series was so disappointing. I really enjoyed the first book, Life As We Knew It. This book was slightly better than the second, but overall it was still a bit of a mess.

I found Miranda to be extremely whiny and selfish throughout the entire novel. When it finally rained she decides to enjoy it peacefully without waking her family. This could have been disastrous if the snow finally did melt and they had a drought. What if the family ran out of drinking water and they could have captured the rainfall to survive?

I didn’t feel that Miranda and Alex had any chemistry. I think they only felt romantic towards each other as they were similar in age and the only opposite sex not related to each in the vicinity. I just didn’t buy into the whole lovey doveyness that was portrayed.

I did love that the family was reunited. The characters had to make some hard decisions by the end of the book. The ending itself didn’t surprise me as this series is about surviving. Things are not going to back to normal for these characters again and the decisions that they make are going to affect the rest of their lives.

Even though the end of this series was disappointing I still love the concept of the book, where a meteor smacks into the moon forever changing Earth. I;m a sucker for a disaster novel especially one with such pretty covers. Even though the rest of the series did not live up to the potential I will still read the fourth book the author is releasing this summer.

My Rating: