May 24, 2013

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare



City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: Library
ISBN: 9781406331417
Release Date: 2007
Goodreads | Amazon | !ndigo


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .


I've heard a lot about these books over the years, but the synopsis honestly did not interest me. I'm not a big fan of Young Adult Fantasy/Paranormal books. I usually prefer my YA to be either science fiction or contemporary fiction. But after watching the trailer for the upcoming The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie I was intrigued and eventually wanted to see what all the hype was about.

I know a lot of people LOVE this book, but it just wasn't for me. I didn't love this book. It was okay, but mostly I was bored throughout the book. I probably won't continue with the series or the spin-off series.

I found Clary to be a pretty weak heroine. I like a strong badass leading ladies in my books. It just seemed that she was whiny at times and too dependent on others. Also, Jace's attitude annoyed me. I get what the author was trying to do by making him arrogant bad boy, but lovable. I didn't get the lovable part he just seemed like an asshat.

I didn't hate the book, but just thought it was meh.

My Rating: