December 23, 2013

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #1
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Source: Bought
ISBN: 978161963045
Release Date: March 30, 2012
Pages: 404

Goodreads | Amazon | Kobo

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.


I’m unsure of where to start with this review. I knew going into this that so many people went bonkers for this book, but I just didn’t realize how much I would love it. Within the first few pages I knew this is my type of book and I’m going to love it. I don’t think I’m going to be able to put into words how much I freaking loved this book. It was perfect.


There was a lot of hype to this book, and sometimes that puts me off from a book because I don’t want to be the only one not to like it. So it’s just easier to avoid it and read something else instead. But I finally picked it up and boy am I glad I did!

Let’s start with Celaena. She is this awesome girl who is an assassin. An assassin! She’s deadly, but loveable. Celaena is clever, funny, well-read, and ever so arrogant. She’s really everything you could want in a heroine. She could kick some series ass and the moments where she had to hold back and just be average were the best. She got so frustrated with Chaol not being able to tell everyone that, yes, she is Adarlan’s Assasin, and she is amazing.

“You know, I actually felt guilty. Just a little guilty. And now I remember why I shouldn’t have. I hate sitting around locked in my room, bored out of my senses. I hate all these guards and nonsense; I hate you telling me to hold back when Brullo sings Cain’s praises and I’m just there , bored and unnoticed in the middle. I hate being told what I can’t do. And I hate you most of all!"

The romance was very well done. I’m not a fan of love triangles, but this is one of those times where I’ll make an exception. There was no insta-love here. Each romance was slow building. I was team Chaol all the way. He was stern and sexy. I love the love-hate relationships that turn into something more. I don't know why but I'm always cheering for the other guy who the heroine bickers with. Chaol made this book for me. I can't even put into words how much I loved him in it.


He challenges Celaena in ways that Dorian just can’t and Chaol’s feelings weren’t as immediate as Dorian’s. It was this ever so slow building relationship that he didn’t even realize how he felt until the end. There were points in the book where I was screaming “Go away Dorian! You are ruining things!” Still I liked Prince Dorian, but he seemed slightly selfish and spoiled at times. It was like Celaena was a game to him, but he also had this sweet and lonely side to him too. Dorian and Celaena had an immediate physically connection, but I just don’t buy it for the long haul of the series.

One of my favourite elements of Throne of Glass was Celaena’s friendship with Nehemia. I find it very difficult (and frustrating) to find solid female friendships in young adult books. But here was a perfect example of how you can still have an grand romance and an amazing and meaningful friendship. Celaena and Nehemia’s friendship had its ups and downs, but they still supported each other, and it wasn’t just fluff to support the romance.

But seriously if you haven’t read this yet just do it! Go and buy it and devour it like I did. You won’t regret it.

My Rating: