December 22, 2013

2013 End Of Year Book Survey


Best Books In 2013

1. Best Book You Read In 2013?

I can't just pick one so here's my top picks:

Horde by Ann Aguirre, Crash Into You by Katie McGarry, Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor, Ashfall by Mike Mullin, If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch, Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis, and This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

The Shade of the Moon by Susan Beth Pfeffer. I was so excited when I saw there was going to be a fourth book. When I got my hands on a review copy I was even more excited, but sadly it was not even close to the greatness of the first book.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales. I just started reading it before bed one night without really thinking or having any expectations on the book, but it turned into one of my top reads of 2013.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell or the Razorland Trilogy by Ann Aguirre. I just simply love these book. I push it on people constantly.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

It would have to be Daughter of Smoke & Bone, The Grimoire Saga, or Pushing The Limits series. All three were superb.

6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2013?

Katie McGarry and Emily Murdoch.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor. I'm not a big fantasy genre person, but this book was amazing and beautiful. It was everything I was missing from this genre.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Facade by Nyrae Dawn. I couldn't put it down. It was one of my very late into the night reads.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

I don't re-read a lot of books, but I probably will re-read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell again.

10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas cover

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Celaena Sardothien. She was clever, strong, funny, arrogant, and could kick everyone's butt. Maybe it's because I just finished reading Throne of Glass, but Celaena was one of my favourite heroines this year.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Ignite by Erica Crouch. This book was perfect and was written so beautifully.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?

Daughter of Smoke & Bone. It made me realize that I do like some fantasy/paranormal books. It was just such a fantastic book that it opened my eyes to a whole new genre that I just cast aside.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?

Unwind by Neal Shusterman. That book blew me away.

15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

"We don’t ever have to be together, Kara, if that’s not what you want. It doesn’t have to be that way. But I will always make certain you are safe.

I’ll do my best to respect what you want, Kara. I just want to be nearby. Someone has to catch you when you trip."
Braeden - Treason by S.M. Boyce

"What’s wrong with me that nobody wants to keep me?"
Isaiah - Crash Into You by Katie McGarry

"I’m an angel, and so are you. You’ve fallen, sure, but you are still an angel. I can feel who you are, your true spirit. I can see the soul you believe you lost. It’s still there inside you.”
Michael - Ignite - Erica Crouch

"It's real, Six. You can't get mad at a real ending. Some of them are ugly. It's the fake happily-ever-afters that should piss you off."
Sky - Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest: The New World by Patrick Ness at 24 pgs
Longest: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers at 576 pgs.

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

Umm...the ending of Allegiant. I was so careful (and successful too) to avoid spoilers for this book. That when I finished I had to wait forever to talk to someone about it. I had a book hangover for a very long time after that one.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Romantic: Although, the series isn't my favourite. I love Aria and Perry together from Under The Never Sky series.

Friendship: Celaena  and Nehemia. I don't see a lot of really great female friendships in young adult books lately (which is a shame), but Throne of Glass had the perfect friendship. Even though they had their ups and downs Celaena and Nehemia still supported each other.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Ignite by Erica Crouch. I wouldn't have read it if it wasn't for Chiara from Books For A Delicate Eternity.

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

No surprise here. It was science fiction.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Isaiah from Crash Into You by Katie McGarry and Chaol from Throne of Glass.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

It would be a three way tie between Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis, If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch, and This Song will Save Your life by Leila Sales.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Lichgates by S.M. Boyce and The Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Poison by Bridget Zinn.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Allegiant by Veronica Roth, Horde by Ann Aguirre, Facade by Nyrae Dawn, Hopeless by Colleen Hoover.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

Ashfall by Mike Mullin. This book doesn't get nearly enough love. You honestly need to read it.



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?

I found so many new blogs that I love this year. In Italics, Book Rock Betty, Books For A Delicate Eternity, Another Novel Read, and Paper Riot. I could go on for such a long time with all the new and great blogs I discovered this year.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?

Elite by Rachel Van Dyken. This book threw me through the ringer and I didn't even know how to put into words the absurdity and fun I had reading it.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

I haven't written a discussion post yet on my blog. I have been meaning to, but it's just one of those things I have put off.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

I've read so many good discussion post this year. I liked Daisy Chain Book Reviews' Has Book Blogging Fallen out of Fashion? post, Jamie @ Perpetual Page Tuner always has great discussions, and I love Arial's discussions @ In Italics.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I didn't go to any events this year as my city never has any, but I really enjoyed participating in The Broke and The Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday.

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

Starting my own blog. I started The Book Addict's Ramblings in late January of this year and I am so happy I did.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

My review of The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot. It got the most views.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

My reviews. I get lots of comments on my Top Ten Tuesdays and Waiting On Wednesdays, but hardly any comments on my reviews.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

The book blogging community. It was such a welcoming group and made being a newbie so much easier.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Yes! I may have signed up for too many challenges, but I just love doing them. I finished And So It Begins Challenge, 2013 eBook Challenge, 2013 End of the Series Challenge, 2013 Dystopia Reading Challenge, and my Goodreads reading challenge.

For the second year in a row I failed miserably at my TBR Reading Challenge. I only crossed four off my list this year.

Looking Ahead

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I loved Obsidian, but haven't taken the time to read the rest of the series. I even have Onyx sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I've heard amazing things about this series, so I'm making it a priority to read this book!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

Too many. Here's the books I'm dying to read in 2014, but Sunrise by Mike Mullin tops the list.

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige and Half Bad by Sally Green.

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

Again, Sunrise by Mike Mullin. I've waited so long for this final book and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

Start discussion posts on here and participate more in the blogging community.