November 29, 2013

Review: Elect by Rachel Van Dyken


Elect by Rachel Van Dyken
Series: The Elect #2
Publisher: Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
Source: Netgalley
ISBN: 9781455554225
Release Date: December 10, 2013
Pages: 262

Goodreads | Amazon | Kobo


Would you die for the one you love?
Nixon Abandonato made his choice. And now he has to pay the price. Tracey is the love of his life, but being with him has made her a target of his family's enemies. The only way to keep Trace alive is convince the world she means nothing to him.

Trace Rooks has fallen irrevocably in love with the son of her family's sworn rival, and she knows in her bones nothing can tear them apart. Until Nix suddenly pushes her away and into the arms of his best friend... But Trace isn't ready to give up on a future with Nix--and if he won't fight for them, she will.

In the end, a sacrifice must be made. A life for a life. For what better way to cover a multitude of sins than with the blood of a sinner . . .


I am really enjoying this series. The first one was a bit to get used to, and at times seemed a little too ridiculous, but once you get settled into the mafia world it really is a fun series to read. The books have tons of secrets and suspense and is chocked full of romance.

Elect picks up where Elite leaves off. Nixon needs to distance himself from Trace to protect her from his enemies (and his enemies are scary!) The chapters alternate between Nixon, Chase, and Phoenix, with each giving a different look on the story.

One thing I didn’t like was Phoenix redeeming himself. He almost rapes Trace in the first book, and now everyone just deals with it and lets him back in? I don’t think so. The author did a good job at writing those parts because no matter what, I still felt for him, even though I despised him.

“And maybe that’s why I was beginning to feel more terrified than anything—because I knew—I had nobody worth pulling for, and it hurt like hell.”
Phoenix

You see more of Chase in Elect. Even though Chase could be a bit of a jerk he was still a sappy sweetheart to Trace. The love triangle picks up speed in this book. Chase fully falls for Trace and it breaks your heart to see him like that.

“Chose me. Because my heart? My soul? My damn existence? Has already spoken, and it wants you and only you—forever."
Chase

At times I did feel like Trace fell for Chase too quickly, but that could be said for how she felt for Nixon in the last book as well. She definitely had strong feelings for both of them and at times it felt like there wasn’t an option that the story chose for her. Nixon completely redeemed himself from being a self-centred ass and became a thoughtful, self-sacrificing man.

“It’s not about me, man. It’s about her. I’m not going to put her between us. Hell I’m not even going to let it get between you and me. It’s her, it’s always been her. Hell if I’m going to sit here and throw a fit for wanting something that doesn’t want me back. She loves you? Fine. Because, Chase. It’s never been about my wants or needs. I can’t live if she’s unhappy. I can’t breathe if she’s upset. If being with you brings her that peace, then I want you to have her. I’ll be your best man at the wedding. I’ll babysit your kids when you want date night. Chase--. It’s about her.”
Nixon

My Rating: